11/27/2012

Advice: Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 ONLY after backup

If you are planning to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10, please first perform a full-system backup. At least back up all your data. The upgrade might not work.

Today, 11-27-2012, after attempting to update my main PC from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10, I could not make Ubuntu 12.10 work correctly. Despite using the recommended "proprietary, tested" Nvidia display driver, I could not stabilize my display:
  • The Unity launcher would not unhide smoothly.
  • YouTube videos played in stop motion.
Fortunately, before attempting the upgrade, I performed a full-system backup through Clonezilla. I was therefore able to restore my main PC to Ubuntu 12.04.

This failure to upgrade surprised me because I had successfully installed Ubuntu 12.10 (through a live disc) onto my standby PC. I needed only fix the frozen-Dash problem and disable the unwanted Amazon ads. For more information, please see: Fixing and customizing Ubuntu 12.10, Repairing frozen Dash in Ubuntu 12.10, and Disabling Amazon shopping results in Ubuntu 12.10.

Personally, I do not plan to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 until the next long-term-support release is available. Although this is unfortunate, I am still an Ubuntu fan. In my opinion, its 12.04 release is superior to all other Linux distributions.


2 comments :

  1. Very good guide and really easy to follow. Thanks! Also, through terminal one can upgrade as well using the command: sudo do-release-upgrade -d.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel - Thanks for your feedback, and the sudo tip. - Dave

    ReplyDelete